Monday, January 10, 2011

Tag, You're It

Hello friends! I hope you had a swell weekend. I'm not really sure what we did... oh, right... took down the Christmas trees and decorations and stored 'em away for another year. Post Christmas shopping found a great ornament organizer that now hold scads of glass ornaments without a single piece of tissue wrap. Yay! Besides carrying the bins from the attic to the first floor, the "job" we hated the most was unwrapping (and rewrapping) all those darn keepsakes. Now we can decorate directly from the trays and have more time for eggnog. *wink*

This week the design team will show you new interpretations of our BSC #17 Sketch Challenge. We're also adding a "new" element to our projects:

Sketch Plus Something New 

Everyone who comes to see my newest colored Magnolias will think I've fallen off my rocker this week. I'm OK, really! I've always been a fan of collage style and especially like what Tim Holtz has to offer our crafty community. I'm hugely inspired by vintage - be it ephemera or textiles, new or reproduction, I'm all over it. You might have seen oversized tags on blogs throughout the internet over the Christmas season - mostly inspired by the very same Tim Holtz. With this project I've dipped my toe in the water. My "new" is a tag shape made with a new Tim Holtz die!


Kinda cool, no? All of the papers are My Mind's Eye Union Square, from the beautiful and brilliant "Lost and Found" series.The "Home is a Little Slice of Heaven" die cut is from the Union Square accessory sheet. The pointing hand brad is from the same line (although the brad pack is currently sold out - sorry!).

I have to share a happy accident. The tag was assembled with Frosted Lace Stickles on the top flourish. I decided it needed to be a little flashier and added a layer of Platinum Stickles and used a heat gun to dry it. Little did I know that the heat gun was also doing interesting things to the Bazzill tulle! It curled edges and made much of the tulle wavy - luckily I caught it before it burned the edges brown. I like the tattered effect!


This was a really simple project to conceive, and agonizing to finish. I'm still thinking I need to balance the glitter swirl on the top with a touch of the same on the bottom. What do you think? I'm open to suggestions!

Card Recipe
  • Paper - My Mind's Eye Lost and Found, Union Square line: "Home Sweet Home" tag paper; "Favorite"- red circle layer and embossed layer under the "home" die cut
  • Medium - Distress Ink in Walnut; Stickles; Glimmer Mist in Suede - spritzed the red and ivory corner tulle bits to "dirty them up"
  • Embellishments - MME Lost and Found, Union Square line: Glittered Accessory Sheet; Bazzill Basics Tulle (in stock but not on the site - email Kimm for more info if you would like to get some in your hot little hands); metal bits from my stash; vintage tatting lace from my much-coveted stash
  • Adhesive - Scor-Tape; 1/2" Glue Dots; Fabri-Tac
That's it for me! Please come back throughout the week to see new samples for our sketch challenge by all the fabulous design team. You can get all the details and enter your own creation by clicking on the sketch below. You could win a $20 gift voucher from the Beary Scrap! 


Cheers,
Susan

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails