For my project I've chosen the absolutely adorable Penny Johnson bear from Stampavie. This little guy has the sweetest little bear face!
I've embossed the lighter layer with a Cuttlebug embossing folder and the bear with embossing powder. Wanna know what I learned on *this* project? (Ha ha, I make the mistakes so you don't have to!) You CAN emboss two layers of paper that have already been sewn together because you forgot to emboss them before hand...
I use the Spellbinder Wizard and use a sandwich for Cuttlebug folders that includes one thick pad, the tan and magnetic mats, the thin white plastic mat and a piece of cardboard. I was worried that the extra paper layer would either punch holes through everything or make it too difficult to even work through the machine, but no. Yay! Did I mention I already added my Scor-Tape strips to the back, too? (Phew, I was lucky it all worked out OK!)
I used embossing powder on the bear - I've always wanted to try this technique. I used Versafine black pigment ink because I like the fine-ness of it and pigment inks dry slower than dye. This gives enough time to add the embossing powder. Plus, I only have clear embossing powder and needed the black outline. *grin* Any I think he turned out really well, and it adds another layer of dimension to this card.
Oh, and here's an embossing tip: You know those little sacks of somethin' you can buy at craft stores that keep stray embossing powders off you paper? You know, that little magic thing that you rub over your bare paper before stamping that costs a whopping $6? It's just corn starch. Get a scrap of your husband's white t-shirt (he won't even notice), pour cornstarch in it and close it up with a rubber band. Keep that with your embossing supplies and rub it lightly on your blank paper before stamping so those little stray bits just fall off. If you have stubborn ones, keep a teeny tiny paint brush handy to carefully flick them away before applying heat to emboss. Now, go spend that $$ on a Stampavie cutie here! *grin*
As luck would have it, this stamp is sold out right now, but check out his brother bear hanging out with the birds:
... Or even the adorable Popcorn the Bear stamps here. Lovin' the bears!
- Stamp - Stampavie/Penny Johnson's Bear and Butterfly
- Paper - Bazzill Basics Mocha Divine and Petunia; Basic Grey Capella Timpani, with Dolce from the 6x6 pad; Neenah for the stamp
- Medium - Stampendous Detail Embossing Power in clear; Stickles Star Dust on the butterfly; Glimmer Mist Pearl on the branch; Colorbox Fluid Chalk in Chestnut Roan; Prismacolor pencils with OMS.
- Embellishments - Mulberry roses; Pearls; crochet lace and ribbon bits from the bottom of my closet... really!
- Tools - MS punch; Cuttlebug embossing folder; sewing machine
- Adhesive - 1/4" Scor Tape; Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky Glue for the roses
So that's it for me. Check back all week for embossing samples from our wonderful design team. I hope you can find inspiration with us and enter our challenge by the end of the day on July 14th.
Thanks for stopping by!