Thursday, July 15, 2010

Hey Buffa-lopes!

So, this title probably needs some explanation-- I'm sure most of you have never heard of a "buffa-lope" but those of us traveling with my 3 year old to Yellowstone National Park Memorial Day weekend this year heard about them all day long! Jace has never seen a buffalo before and he somehow combined buffalo and antelope into one word, which we all thought was very cute! There were so many buffalo, many with tiny babies since it was springtime, and when they walked right down the middle of the road, Jace would yell "Hey Buffa-lopes!"


I used Kimm's awesome sketch this week to capture Jace's cute words and the story that goes with it. To turn that sketch into a 2 page layout, imagine that I grabbed onto it with both hands and stretched it horizontally until it would cover a two page spread. My elements are a bit bigger, spread a little further apart, allowing me to use just that great sketch to quickly design two scrapbook pages.


The background of my layout is Bazzill's Swiss Dot Cardstock. This cardstock differs from Bo Bunny Double Dot as it has actual tiny embossed dots all over it, giving it a really nice texture. Then I used patterned papers from Bo Bunny's brand new line, Roughin' It, for the rectangles in the sketch-- enlarging and stretching them so they reached over both pages. The edges of all my papers are inked with ColorBox ink in Chestnut Roan. This new Bo Bunny line is perfect for any type of outdoor summer activity-- camping, hiking, four wheeling, sightseeing, even making smores! It also has tons of cute matching embellishments and stickers-- make sure to grab some for your summer adventures!


For my scalloped circle, I wanted to use just the outside edge and so I traced the size circle I wanted, then cut it out using scalloped scissors. Then I went back with regular scissors and cut out the inside of the circle so I had just the scalloped edge left.


Then I used only about 3/4 of the circle and wrapped it around some of my pictures. This was a really good way for me to add a touch of red & blue (since the rest of the page is mostly green & brown) from one of the patterened papers without it being too much.



I used stickers from both the alpha combo sheet and Catching Memories sheet to embellish the page, as well as some buttons from Basic Grey tied with hemp cord. The title is from the Bo Bunny alpha combo sheet which is so handy to have a sticker sheet that has both letters and some shapes. I also used tiny letters from My Little Shoebox to add the subtitles and I absolutely love these tiny alphabets. They come with so many letters for such a great price and it includes several different fonts which are fun to mix and match.



Oh, I just love sketches and this one was so fun to work with! I hope you will join us in our sketch challenge during the next two weeks and show us what you can create using this sketch. Hope you are all having a great summer, enjoying the great outdoors and that some of you out there might just see a "buffa-lope" or two!

3 comments:

Susan ~ Killam Creative said...

Ha! I love the buffa-lopes, and especially baby buffa-lopes! I've never been to Yellowstone and I have to tell you my jaw dropped at your first photo! Wowza - and I thought our herds of Canada Geese were bad!

I love your layout, Jamie - you really do a stellar job interpreting each and every theme, sketch and technique we do here into scrapbook layouts!

Cheers,
Susan

Shirley said...

This LO is wonderful and love how you interpreted the sketch into it. Don't you just love what 3 year olds come up with for words. They're wonderful. I love the buffalopes and will be calling them that from now on.LOL

Elise said...

Jamie!!! This is WONDERFUL! I always enjoy looking at your pics .. as they are so full of fun times! And it looks like you had another ton of fun here as well! :) what an AWESOME layout once again!

Hugs,
Elise

Related Posts with Thumbnails