Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Little Birdie

Do you feel it? Are you driving around with your window rolled down? Have your broken out your summer sandals from the closet? Spring is, I think, finally here! (Even in Idaho, where it sometimes feels like we go directly from winter to summer without much in between.) Hopefully wherever you are, the grass is starting to green up, the sun is shining and the birds are singing. And what better way to celebrate those beautiful spring days and chirping spring birds than with some cute little birds on your scrapbook pages?

I had so much fun making my layout this week with the brand new Pink Paislee 365 "Degrees". I love, love, love the colors in this line! They are bright and fun without being too overwhelming. Perfect for spring or summer pages, boy pages, outdoor pages or whatever else you can imagine. Be sure to check out this line, along with the other super cute new Pink Paisley lines-- Queen Bee and Bayberry Cottage.

I used some aqua colored Bazzill cardstock for the background of my pages and then layered several sheets from the 6 x 6 paper pad of the 365 Degrees collection. This paper pad is so awesome! You get 30 sheets in 10 different designs for only $5.00! This way I got to try out all the fun patterns from the line but didn't have to buy full 12 x 12 sheets of each. Then I used the round sheet from the same line and split it into two different pieces for each side of my layout.

I remember when I first started seeing these new shapes in 12 x 12 sizes-- circles, scallops, flowers, hearts, brackets-- and I thought "Yeah, those are stinkin' cute, but what do I do with them?" Well, don't be afraid to cut them apart! I used about 7/8 of my circle scallop page and placed them at different angles on either page for variety. Also, if you are making a single 12 x 12 page layout, don't be afraid to just use the shape for your background paper-- who said a layout has to be square anyway?

Once I matted my pictures, also on some of the 6 x6 sheets, I used several of the 365 Degrees Punch Out Die Cut Tags as accents along the edges. All the die cuts and papers are inked around the edges with Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Broken China. On top of the tags are some Bazzill buttons which I love because some of them have lines etched across them, and a little of the Bazzill Tulle in Parakeet that is sold by the yard. Usually, ribbon is a definite must-have for me on a layout, but I thought the tulle fit the light spring feel of the papers and gave some variety from my usual supply choices.

I created my birds by cutting two Paisleys on my Cricut using the "Stretch Your Imagination" cartridge. I chose the Blackout option and reversed the paper for the smaller bird so that the two are facing each other. The wings are made by punching hearts and the beak by just hand cutting a tiny triangle. Using a fine tip black marker I traced around the bird bodies, added legs and eyelashes and then googly eyes to top it off. The last step was to stamp some black flourishes for the tail feathers-- I liked the flourishes so much I added quite a few around the edges of the cardstock too.

I hope you liked my winged creation for this week and that your neighborhood is full of some spring birds that are singing to you! Be sure to check back tomorrow for more winged things at The Beary Scrap Design Team!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails