Saturday, April 3, 2010

Happy Easter from Gini


It's Saturday, so that means it is time for me to wrap up this week's theme from The Beary Scrap - Easter Inspirations. As usual, the Beary Scrappy Gals have provided such delightful projects all week long!
I know most people use very "springy" colors for their Easter creations, but I wanted to do something a little different. I have always been inspired by Sacred Russian art, and wanted to do a card based on those influences. I fell in love with this limited edition set of Crosses by Spellbinders, and knew they would be perfect.
I cut the layers of my cross out of red (Brick) Bazzill cardstock, that I covered in composition gold leaf, before cutting/embossing. (If you look at Russian Icons, there is often a red paint that shows through some of the gold. ) I then sanded some of the areas of the cross with a sanding block to expose some of the red underneath. I used dimensionals to build up my layers and glued red Swarovski crystals as an embellishment.
I placed the cross on a layer of SEI velvet paper, that I had embossed with a Cuttlebug folder. I added another piece of the velvet paper, that had been punched using the Treading Water punch. I stitched my layers with gold thread to add to the opulence.

The sentiment was printed from my computer onto Bazzill cardstock, and cut out with the Fancy Labels from Spellbinders. I wanted to have an "antiqued glitz" to this as well, so I rubbed Distress Stickles in Frayed Burlap and Antique Linen over the top. If you haven't tried the Distress Stickles, they look completely different from normal Stickles. They really do give a nice worn look that I love. Finally, I added the pearls at the bottom.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Easter and gets to spend time with those you love! Be sure to come and visit us next week for more fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful card Gini. I was nice to see a more traditional approach to Easter. I would have never know the technique you used if you didn't mention it.
XXX Kimm

Audrey Frelx said...

This is beauriful -- love it!!

I'll have to come back again to complete my tour, I've enjoyed my visit!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails