Friday, June 17, 2011

Do It Yourself Eyelet Flowers

Happy Friday all! I have been so excited to see a couple of entries already in our Do It Yourself Embellishment challenge. I know you all have fabulous ideas out there and I can't wait to see how you create your own unique embellies so keep those entries coming!

My project for this week is this little covered notebook and matching pen-- I found it for only $1.00 at my local craft store.



My main DIY embellishment is an eyelet flower-- I saw this idea recently in PaperCrafts magazine (along with a lot of other DIYs) and was dying to try it! It was super easy to make (as long as I kept my fingers out of the way of the hot glue) and I was really pleased with the end result. If you want to try your hand at this kind of flower, here are some instructions:


1. Gather your materials--
Cardstock and circle punch (I used a 1 1/4 inch circle)
15 inches of rick-rack trim (this makes a 1 1/4 inch flower, use more if you want a bigger flower)
Glue Gun


2. Begin at the outside edge of the circle and apply hot glue around the edge, then start pressing down the rick-rack onto the hot glue, twisting it slightly to make it go around the circle. (You have to kind of twist and bend it as you go, as rick-rack does not naturally curve!)

3. Continue circle inward with hot glue and then applying the rickrack, twisting and turning to make it circle. Continue all the way into the center. Mind your fingers! I used hot glue because I like how fast it is and I'm not sure anything else would have held rickrack as it doesn't turn easily. If you used a lighter weight trim or lace I think Tacky Glue would work just fine and be less dangerous for your fingers!


4. Trim off any excess rick rack in the middle and any excess cardstock from the back circle. You'll end up with something similar to this:


Then add a brad, button or whatever you can come up with to the center for the middle of the flower. I used a brad and pierced it all the way through the cardstock circle.


A couple of other little DIY things I wanted to show you-- to make a leaf for my rick-rack flower, I punched a heart from my patterened paper and then also cut the small heart from some black lace to cover it:


I wanted to add a seam binding bow so I used white seam binding and spritzed with with Glimmer Mist to match my paper. I love how easily the seam binding can be colored and how quick it dries. After I spritzed it, I scrunched it up good and then tied the bow after it was dry.

Here's another look at my final product--


Supplies used:
Bo Bunny 6x6 paper pad-- Timepiece (sold out in the store, sorry!)
Seam Binding-- White
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist-- Brick Red (currently on clearance at 30% off!!)
KaiserCraft Pearls-- Black
Tim Holtz Distress Ink--Black Soot
My Mind's Eye Lost & Found Union Square Brad
Glue Dots
Assorted lace trims


It's your turn-- show us your DIY embellishment and stay tuned for more DIY ideas from our Beary Sweet Design Team.

3 comments:

Suzi Mac said...

Gorgeous embellishments. I must try that ric rac flower. Thanks for the inspiration.
Hugs
Suzi x

Rosana Garcia Hess said...

Great tute....I´ll feature on my blog. Hope you don´t mind
hugs from Brazil

Susan ~ Killam Creative said...

Jamie, this is adorable! I love this idea and have a *ton* of ric rac in the Grandma stash... Oh, and I love the little heart tucked behind the flower. Fun!

Cheers,
Susan

Related Posts with Thumbnails