Friday, September 10, 2010

Colors of Fall

"Autumn truly is what summer pretends to be: the best of all seasons. It is as glorious as summer is tedious; as subtle as summer is obvious; as refreshing as summer is wearying. Autumn seems like paradise."
--Gregg Easterbrook


I love Autumn-- it is by miles my absolute favorite time of the year, from the chill in the air to going back to school, harvest time and football games, to the BEAUTIFUL Autumn colors and enjoying those last precious rays of sunshine, appreciating them ever so much more than the summer sun because you know it won't last. So, when I learned the colors for this week's projects-- Ivory , Gold and __________-- I immediately thought of this time of year and a lovely autumn gold. My layout this week uses the colors Ivory, Gold and Brown (with a tad of blue) and showcases one of those golden Autumn afternoons that makes me want it to just be September forever.


I had so much fun with these colors and so many ideas for what to do, I couldn't pick just one or two things to include and so I have many different things on this one layout! I started with Bo Bunny Double Dot Cardstock-- which is quickly becoming my favorite paper for a layout base, the colors are so awesome! I added just a bit of Cosmo Cricket's Gretel line along the edge to give it a touch of that pretty dark turquoise blue and some fall leaves, then decided it needed even more leaves so I stamped the bottom third of the page. I only used a tiny bit of the Cosmo Cricket paper, but make sure to check out this whole collection, it is gorgeous and perfect for fall creations!

Then I layered some large squares of gold, brown and ivory in the middle to mat my large (8x8) sepia photo on and this is where it really got fun! Have you seen this?
It's the new Zutter Distress-It-All and it is seriously my new favorite scrapbook tool! You push the button, stick in your paper and zippity quick! you have perfect distressed edges. Hopefully the angle of this photo will show you a little of what this cool machine can do:


I LOVE it!!! I really thought about die cutting some leaves and distressing their edges too but I decided I had enough stuff already but I can see using this for all kinds of shapes-- flowers, stars, and yes, leaves! Now, Kimm is currently out of stock (I do believe I got the last one!) but hopefully she'll have some back in the store soon because YOU HAVE TO GET ONE!

Enough about that-- I also included machine stitching around my distressed mat, a hand pieced sun with rickrack rays and some clouds cut out of My Little Shoebox's Sky's the Limit paper. I popped up some of the clouds with foam squares and edged everything with Chestnut Roan Colorbox ink. Here's a side view of my sun and clouds:


And now, the finale! I made Kimm's brand new tear critter, Owen the Owl, as he fits an autumn page just perfectly. He is adorable! I made his beak and feet out of yellow gold Bazzill cardstock to match my ivory and gold theme. Then hand cut a little branch from some more of the Bo Bunny Double Dot for him to perch on and attached some gold Bo Bunny All-Stuck-Up flowers (these are a great deal right now!) I love him! Make sure to check out the other new Tear Critters-- Sidney the Skunk and Salem the Cat.


Wow! That was quite an explanation, I know, as I said, I just love Autumn and this was such a fun page to make. I hope I gave you an idea or two and I hope you get out and enjoy the beautiful Autumn days, colors and activities before they are gone!

Save a little time, though, to enter our current Beary Sweet Sketch Challenge-- you have until Sept. 15th at 11:59 EST to enter your take on the sketch and you just might be the lucky one who wins a $20.00 voucher to The Beary Scrap-- perfect for getting some of those awesome Tear Critter Patterns or other fabulous scrapbook supplies!






No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails