Monday, May 3, 2010

What Do April Showers Bring?

Why, May flowers of course!

Hello friends! I hope you had a wonderful weekend. My husband and I had grand plans to do loads of yard work, but went outlet shopping instead. We have just a few more weeks before tourist season hits and travel around the Delaware/Maryland peninsula becomes difficult. At least, travel to the Delaware outlets, anyway!

You know how, every once in a while you want to try something new in your garden? Weeelll, I'm trying something new with this week's theme. I've wanted to try these homemade organza flowers for a while and decided this week was it. After all, it's...
May Flowers Week!
 

I cut rough flower shapes from pink fluffy organza and -using tongs- hovered it over a burning candle. It doesn't take much to curl the edges, that's for sure! Luckily, I also discovered that you can snip off the burned bits and re-curl. :) Hey, I've said it before - I'm here to make the mistakes so you don't have to!


There are 3 organza layers on each flower, all held together with a fabulous Basic Grey fabric covered brad. Once everything was tamed with the brads, I used Fabri-Tac to adhere the lace to the back. Not one to do more than necessary, I just squeezed a ring of adhesive around the back and stuck the lace to it. :)


My flower stalks are made from May Arts leaf ribbon - how cool is this ribbon? Sadly, I couldn't capture how well the flowers and leaves pop off the page - holding this card is definitely a different experience than viewing it on screen. :)


Card Recipe
Have you seen our Beary Sweet Challenge #1? All week you can view inspiration projects from our design team, and enter your project here any time before the end of the day on May 14th and you could win!

Oh! And definitely don't forget to enter our blog candy by Wednesday, May 5th. The prize is incredible!

Thanks for stopping in. Check back tomorrow to see Kimm's wonderful project!

Cheers,
Susan

10 comments:

angelique (anlou) said...

i love the flowers, so pretty, hugs angelique

Love crafts forever said...

Awesome flowers.

La Vikinga said...

Beautiful card with unusual flowers!!!
La Vikinga

C said...

Wow..your flowers are gorgeous. I haven't had the courage to try these yet.

Whisper said...

Fabby flowers, love it, Sam x

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous flowers Susan! Can I plant these in my garden? I don't have much of a green thumb - ;)

Love everything about it!


Hugs,
Kimm

Jamie said...

These are awesome Susan! I can't wait to try it, I'm demonstrating different ways to make your own flowers at my local scrap group, these will be so fun!

Sylvia Blum said...

oh my gosh.. love these adorable flowers!!!

Patricia Mae said...

Very sweet and pretty I love the flowers, I will have to try that someday.
~Patricia

Susan ~ Killam Creative said...

Thanks so much for your very kind comments, ladies! I really appreciate it.:)

C'mon Charlene! Give it a try - just watch that flame!

Jamie - I'd love to know how your ladies do with your flower techniques.

Cheers,
Susan

Related Posts with Thumbnails